• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fractional Help

6 posts in this topic

I know there were a few posts about fractionals here and helping to tell if they are real or fakes.

I got these 2 today. I know they arent a high grade but theres a local dealer by my job ive been itching to try so today i went and got the needed plastic pages i needed. Also to sample the items he had forsale I saw these 2 for 6.50 and figured it was a cheap item and see how it went.

The dealer seems very smart. After talking to him for a while I got to see some of this gems he has collected over the last 40 or 50 yrs. from the lazy duce to a 1880 $100 gold cert. All in AU grade. some very nice notes that really took my breath away .

So on the way home i said to myself that you guys said there are some fakes going around so I ask you the smart guys and gals of the fractionals what can you tell me from the scanns about the two i got. worst case im out 6.50 but he has alot of other nicer items forsale but i figured start small. something out of his bargin bin and see how it goes.

51295-fractional50s.jpg.3541c4c560b6b67a8530d269a7c53ee7.jpg

51296-fractional50sback.jpg.d020f27b883727201b440545c597ef87.jpg

Neat notes! Both are obvious counterfeits, but still would be sought after by several fractional currency collectors...especially at that price! I don't collect counterfeit notes, but if you post your question on my board, you should get a response fairly quickly. In fact, there's a pretty good discussion of CF fractionals going on my board right now!

RJ

I'm not sure that they are counterfeits. The bronze oval around Washington's portrait was meant to prevent counterfeiting. Most counterfeit plates were made from photographs, the oval made it impossible to photograph the details of the note design.