• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a bit of extra ink on this $50, goofed up $1

6 posts in this topic

Hi, guys.

Is this in any way considered to be collectible...or should I go blow it on a couple of gallons of gas??? The reverse "United States of America" appears faintly on the obverse near the top of the note...backwards of course.

And how about the $1. Left serial number and reserve bank letter are missing.

Thanks lots.

RI AL

bills.jpg

That $50 looks nice, I have a much more circulated one that I have saved, so if you want to trade I'd be happy to send you mine to spend on gas! The $1 looks interesting, but I am not an error expert by any stretch. It seems to me that if one serial number was gone, the treasury seal and other one should be gone too. As for the missing letter, I can't think of how that would happen at the BEP.

I have a $20 with the "error" that looks like you $50. I was told that this type of over-printing can be caused by stacking after printing. While it is interesting, it is not something that would bring much of a premium.

As for your $1, it looks like someone tried the bleach method--the act of using bleach and sometime a phosphor to erase notes. The lack of a serial number on one side of the front, but not the other is nearly impossible. Also, the seals is struck with the letter of the Federal Reserve Branch. So that is impossible, too. The uneveness of the the inner ring of the seal and the overlap on to the seal in the area of "Bank Of" suggest it was altered. IMHO: someone was playing with bleach then spent the dollar. Value: $1.

Scott :hi:

Sorry, forgot to address the $50 "error" this is just a result of the embossing and printing and is fairly common. I have a 1985 that is almost identical (though in slightly better condition). It just shows that the note is in nice shape with good embossing, but not an error.

Hey, Guys...and thanks.

So many mysteries accumulated from my years of collecting...and so many knowledgable and HELPFUL people here to help. As always...MUCH appreciated....and thanks!

RI AL