• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lozenge printing

8 posts in this topic

Lozenge Printing the process of using sugar instead of ink to print on edible products. Lozenge printing followed the invention of Lozenge Cutting by the NECCO company, maker of NECCO Wafers. If you look up NECCO on the net, you can find out who invented the process. I remember because this was a recent Jeopardy answer!! :applause:

Scott :hi:

Hello Scott, and thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how lozenge printing is connected with paper money? I see the reference in the paper money catalogs, but no definition.

Many thanks.

RI Al

Boy, am I confused. In my paper money catalog, it refers to "with lozenge" and "without lozenge". I guess the printer dudes kept coming to work with colds and coughing their Necco wafers on to the presses, huh?

Seriously, could it be some sort of overprinting or something to that effect?

Thanks.

RI AL

Boy, am I confused. In my paper money catalog, it refers to "with lozenge" and "without lozenge". I guess the printer dudes kept coming to work with colds and coughing their Necco wafers on to the presses, huh?

Seriously, could it be some sort of overprinting or something to that effect?

Al... they could be talking about a feature on the note--usually an oval shape.

The only example I can think about in coins is the 1949 Israeli 500 pruta. They have what some call a "lozenge" or a "pearl" on the reverse on coins minted later in the year. Later in the year, to indicate a secondary issue, the pearl was replaced with a branch. It is rarer than the original coins.

I found an image of "with a pearl" at the Bank of Israel. Look between the olive branches at the bottom of the reverse:

c12.gif

The secondary issues had the pearl was changed to a branch. Here is a not-so-good image I found:

553.jpg

I hope this helps!

Scott :hi:

Scott, as far as I can tell from the pictures, neither of those coins is a "with pearl" variety. The pearl has nothing to do with the object between the ends of the branches at the bottom. The pearl is a raised dot that is BELOW that oval object, between it and the rim of the coin.

Thank you, Scott. I have been off for a few days but just found your post and appreciate your reply.

I will have to go hunting through the paper money catalogs to see where I found the lozenge printing reference. The only thing I can think of is an overprint in a sort of lozenge (oval?) shape. I know I saw it somewhere....

Many thanks to you and all the great, helpful guys here on the Chat Board. Happy New Year to all as well!

RI AL