• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is this?

3 posts in this topic

Haven't got a clue as to the value but it appears to be a genuine municipal note of the City of Richmond Virginia from the issue of April 19th 1861. At that time paper money was issued by states, cities, and local banks. It was not issued by the Federal Government. That didn't happen until 1862 and by the Confederacy a little earlier. At the time this note was issued Virginia had succeeded from the Union and joined the Confederacy, but the Civil War had not yet begun. (If I remember my history it began the following day on April 20th. Of course this note could have been issued after that time. The April 19th date was just the day the authorizing ordnance was passed.)

You might find a reference to then in a book on southern states curency, but probably not under Confederate currency. Being a municipal issue though, you might not find them under states notes, or bank notes either. I don't know if there are specialized works just for city issues.