• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's on Your Wish List?

17 posts in this topic

below from notre dame site.............annotated

August 18, 1775 - Sword in hand

An emission of £100,000 legal tender bills of credit engraved and printed by Paul Revere in Boston. This was the first of four emissions of notes by Revere in his series featuring an American soldier on the back, often called the "Sword in hand" issues. In this August emission approximately 10,000 bills were issued for each denomination and were to be redeemable in "Lawfull Money" by one of three specified dates. A total of £40,000 was printed with a redemption date of August 18, 1778, another £30,000 with the date of August 18, 1779 and the final £30,000 was dated August 18, 1780. Some 17s and 24s notes were printed with the incorrect date of 1777, which was corrected to 1778 (some were corrected by hand before the plate was fixed). However, bills of 6s or higher from emissions before November 1776 were recalled for exchange by an act of October 13, 1777, which was amended three times, successively extending the date for redemption until December 1, 1778, at which time the notes became invalid and unredeemable.

There were sixteen denominations in this issue printed from the two sets of newly engraved copper plates. The front of each note has a small oval vignette with a ship docked at a harbor or a tree; the design differs on each denomination. The back depicts a colonial American soldier (sometimes called a minuteman) with a sword in his right hand and copy of the Magna Charta in his left. This is a document signed by King John in 1215, popularly interpreted as conferring rights to all free Englishmen. Above is the motto "Issued in defence of American Liberty" and below is the motto of Massachusetts "Ense petit placidam sub Libertate Quietem." (By the sword one seeks peace under tranquil liberty).

The "Manning" Note is the 1886 $20 Silver Certificate. It's named that because it has the bust of Secretary of Treasury Daniel Manning on the front. (Fr#313-316). They run from $30,000 to $100,000 in choice to gem condition.

Also, just how close of neighbors are we?

I live in Greenville County, SC.

I mostly post on Sunday evenings while I'm in Dallas,TX ....laying over at a hotel waiting for my return trip loads to come in from Cali , so sorry for the reply delay.

I'm in Lexington county ! Originally from Anderson (Iva) up near your neck of the woods .

I appreciate the information , as I'm not very acquainted with those notes/series.

My better half is the note hoarder...I have a token amount of graded colonials ,shin-plasters ....love the imbedded formica ! ....and to believe I used to hate trying to get it out of my clothes when I lived in Anderson....my Uncles ran a dairy and I got a little of everything on me then.

-John hi.gif

the colonials some of them have mica embedded in them

from the old nativemine i believe in NH vermont conn area

get a sword in hand note they are totally scarce and undervalued

the ultimate in historicaL CONTEXT thumbsup2.gif

with each sword in hand bought a FREE large pizza with double extra furry anchovies on the "ZA" to boot 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Michael thumbsup2.gif, the sword in hand note seems very worthy of adding to my meager holdings of colonials , but I would bankrupt my coin budget for the year....but then , if I could find one priced right I might jump on it confused-smiley-013.gif.....as long as I can pass on the furry anchovies !! 893whatthe.gif