• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pan Handle Hoard.

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm new here and new to paper currency collecting. I like unique serial numbers which leads me to my question. I have not been able to find any information on the pan handle hoard. There is a $20 I am looking at with a low serial number and pmg has it listed as Pan Handle Hoard. So what exactly was this. Thanks in advance

Not to seem uncaring, but what can we tell you if we don't know. No need to get angry or sarcastic. The fact that no one has answered does not mean that no one read your post , we just don't have an answer at this time and fifty people telling you "I don't know " does not help you in your search. Trust me when I say you will get your answer if someone here finds it and you could not have looked in a better place.

I don't know for sure, but I have a theory or my best guess.

The grading companies PCGS & PMG will add just about any additional identifier or collection name to the holder when requested. For example, if I ever decide to submit all of my notes to be graded, and I can ask PMG to add "Cigar City Collection" to the holders (because I'm from Tampa), they will.

I'm guessing a dealer got a brick of 1000 series 2004 Dallas EK-B $20 notes (very low serial numbers) and submitted them to both PCGS and PMG and asked that "Pan Handle Hoard" be added to the holder. The dealer might have been from the Texas pan handle and thought it may add to the value of the notes.

I have seen and own other type notes in holders that are from so-called hoards.

scan0131.jpg

scan0017-3.jpg

These have a notation "Panama Run" because they were first released in Panama.

scan0003.jpg

Just my best guess. You can try and contact the sellers on eBay, and they may know.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=3412&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H1.Xpan+handle+hoard&_nkw=pan+handle+hoard&_sacat=3412