• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm a coin guy, came across some older bills - help, please? (Huge photos)

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Over the years I've gotten the occasional bill or small group of bills from my grandfather as gifts. I don't have much and I don't know much about paper money, as I'm much more coin-centered. I've got several confederate bills, a few military payment certificates, a couple of foreign bills, and some (circulated) $1 silver certificates and $2 bills. A few of the $1 silver certs are star notes, I know that much.

I'd like to learn a little more about what I've got, what it's probably worth, etc. I was thinking I'd scan in the notes, but before I do much with them, can someone tell me anything I need to know about handling them? I have them stored in a cardboard gift box right now. The confederate stuff is in some sort of plastic sleves, so I sandwiched the loose notes between the plastic ones so they wouldn't touch the cardboard.

I'll try and scan them later today. In the meantime, can anyone tell me the basics of what to look for?

1350483-web1.jpg.a777e9f0fdc645c7677f5f2ed62f58f6.jpg

Wow! The five dollar and 100 dollar notes are in excellent condition. One would think that they would be worth something but it is hard to tell concerning Confederate currency.

Since they are no longer legal tender and since there was an abundance of them following the Civil War, they don't draw a whole lot of attention which keeps the prices down.

First of all, the 3 CSA notes are not CSA notes. They fall into the Obsolete Notes category. I just looked at a mailbid and they have a 1861 $5 Farmers & Exchange Bank/Charleston/Oxen Cart/Red Back VF SUGG BID 70.00 to 80.00, Net Price $70.00 Yours isn't anywhere near a very fine.

The others I don't know. Too bad about the star notes.

Jerry

The old hand signed notes have a real problem with the acid type ink that was used eating holes in the notes over time. I have a couple that I bought and didn't realize it. I didn't even think to look along the signature lines.

Jerry

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query. It's interesting to learn a little more about an area of collecting I rarely enter. I doubt I'd be interested in selling any of these unless they were worth a bunch of dough, but as they're not, they'll likely just sit in a corner of my collection for the next 50 years. Certainly cool!