• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your latest addition!
1 1

944 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2021 at 10:37 AM, Revenant said:

I think the next thing I'd be inclined towards for building out "Gradually, then Suddenly," Would be adding more contemporary (2009-2018) notes from South Africa, Botswana and the other countries that made up the multi-currency period.

As a stand alone sig set or add them to GTS? 

On 8/22/2021 at 9:53 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

As a stand alone sig set or add them to GTS? 

As it is I'd add them in GTS between the 4th dollars and the new dollars, like I do my US notes and the 20 Rand now.

I have considered splitting GTS into two parts and having the "old dollars" (p-1 to p-98) and then the "new" dollars from p-99. In that split regime the multi-currency period would be a 3rd, middle, sig set. But I haven't done that so far in part because the "new" set would be so small and then it's just sig set that does the same job as an existing competitive set.

Since GTS won a major award, there's also something to be said for preserving the character of the set as it was when it won and developing/ evolving it in that context.

A alot here is going to have to depend on how the new system evolves. If they do a new redenomination and make a new series starting from 1 or 2 dollars I may split it and make that new set. If they abandoned the currency again and went back to a multi-currency I could see the multi-currency notes and those notes being a fun signature set.

Of course, I suppose there's nothing stopping me from keeping both the combined GTS and making new, more limited sets like what I just described.

My latest arrived today. I'm glad to finallly be seeing graded examples of these hitting the market. It looks like, this time, the dealers waited to send them in until the catalogue updated so you didn't get any "Pick Unlisted" notes this time. I wonder if we'll see the same thing with the new ZImbabwean P-105, meaning you won't see those show up graded until probably March or April of 2022.

IF they release any more notes in this series without a redenomination or something I REALLY hope they change the design up in some way other than just changing the colors. It is starting to get hard to maintain excitement over these. They all look the same! lol 

548462082_VEN113aFront-Copy.thumb.jpg.71e60d8ea6d26004a8fb72d6275ffad8.jpg548462082_VEN113aFront-Copy.thumb.jpg.71e60d8ea6d26004a8fb72d6275ffad8.jpg

1993618465_VEN113aBack.thumb.jpg.d2de646b22de4351556d1cdddb35b0ad.jpg

On 9/18/2021 at 10:20 PM, Revenant said:

My latest arrived today. I'm glad to finallly be seeing graded examples of these hitting the market. It looks like, this time, the dealers waited to send them in until the catalogue updated so you didn't get any "Pick Unlisted" notes this time. I wonder if we'll see the same thing with the new ZImbabwean P-105, meaning you won't see those show up graded until probably March or April of 2022.

IF they release any more notes in this series without a redenomination or something I REALLY hope they change the design up in some way other than just changing the colors. It is starting to get hard to maintain excitement over these. They all look the same! lol 

I've been seeing less and less "UNL" Pick numbers, I'm really wondering if PMG didn't take this over in some way or is working directly with the SCWPM. I still haven't seen anywhere that another issue of SCWPM is going to be printed, since Krause dissolved and Penguin bought the rights.

I see that they printed their own notes now, lol guess no one trusted them to pay up after they left TDLR high and dry. I'm with you on the design, maybe next time after the "digital bolivar" crashes and burns, they'll come up with some new designs. I think the digital bolivar is being launched in the next few weeks, and I thought they were releasing "digital bolivar notes". :whatev:How do you collect those? hm

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

On 9/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, Revenant said:

You probably just don't. How do you collect bitcoin for El Salvador?

Someone will figure something out, it would be similar to a NFT.? All they need is to create a design, and boom! Collectable. They wouldn't need serial #s either, I guess, since each would have its own unique blockchain. Can you have a "fancy" blockchain #? lol 

I guess this is more cost effective than printing new notes every time you want to lop off six zeros from your currency. Now they'll just have to change the name when they revalue it the next time.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

It's not looking good for a redesign when they launch the digital bolivar and if they print notes to circulate along with it.

anverso-1.jpg.78aafe65704a0ce40f7f13a6e6a06f14.jpg

I have no idea if this is true, but it's the only image I could find of the digital bolivar. lol Were they going to print new notes when they launch the digital bolivar or just let the old ones circulate? I don't think they were doing a redenomination at this time.

On 9/19/2021 at 11:26 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's not looking good for a redesign when they launch the digital bolivar and if they print notes to circulate along with it.

anverso-1.jpg.78aafe65704a0ce40f7f13a6e6a06f14.jpg

I have no idea if this is true, but it's the only image I could find of the digital bolivar. lol Were they going to print new notes when they launch the digital bolivar or just let the old ones circulate? I don't think they were doing a redenomination at this time.

Well, it sounds like a mixed bag and a mess. It sounds like there WILL be a 3rd redenomination that is going to remove 6 zeros and there WILL be 5 new bank notes. Some things say that this will NOT have a blockchain component and it will not be a CBDC, some say it will, some say it will be a text-message-based / phone-based payment system similar to some of the things you see in Africa.

https://www.cryptopolitan.com/venezuelan-central-bank-digital-bolivar/

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-09-19/jobs-outlook-a-guide-to-your-potentially-great-resignation

https://www.btcexpanse.com/redenomination-of-digital-bolivar-plan-revealed-by-venezuelan-central-bank/

I had missed most of these announcements a few months ago. I may have to re-work my P-113 description that a wrote a few months ago and just posted. It's hard to deal with these things and making these set descriptions these days. The designs are giving me nothing new to talk about and the story from the BCV is constantly in flux and I don't think they even know what they're doing at this point.

On 9/19/2021 at 4:00 PM, Revenant said:

The designs are giving me nothing new to talk about and the story from the BCV is constantly in flux and I don't think they even know what they're doing at this point.

They definitely don't know what they are doing. I'm with you, in the quick searching I did this morning I saw a lot of contradictory information out there, I guess we'll see. That is if they even launch the digital bolivar on Oct 1, I have a feeling that it might be a 50/50 proposition still.

On 9/19/2021 at 4:00 PM, Revenant said:

Well, it sounds like a mixed bag and a mess. It sounds like there WILL be a 3rd redenomination that is going to remove 6 zeros and there WILL be 5 new bank notes. Some things say that this will NOT have a blockchain component and it will not be a CBDC, some say it will, some say it will be a text-message-based / phone-based payment system similar to some of the things you see in Africa.

I guess I don't see the purpose of slashing 6 zeros IF you want to go to an all digital currency, the same reasoning applies to printing new notes. This half-hearted attempt at a CBDC is just sad, not to mention a digital currency is probably not practical for a large portion of the population anyway. Continually renaming the national currency and chopping off zeros each time is crazy. :frustrated:

On 9/19/2021 at 4:24 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I guess I don't see the purpose of slashing 6 zeros IF you want to go to an all digital currency, the same reasoning applies to printing new notes. This half-hearted attempt at a CBDC is just sad, not to mention a digital currency is probably not practical for a large portion of the population anyway. Continually renaming the national currency and chopping off zeros each time is crazy. :frustrated:

It's a half-hearted, non-committal approach that dooms the whole venture to failure before it starts. By not going all in they'll never get the population to adopt it and believe in it.

The 3rd redenomination in Zimbabwe and the 4th dollar was almost 100% about the fact that computerized banking systems are not designed to deal with numbers in the quadrillion and quintillion range. They were forced into it by computer overflow errors.

Mike and my favorite paper-crack-dealer had this and a 114a 1 Million note ending in auctions at 2AM last night. This one had no bids on it when I went to bed last night at 11PM and so I bid the starting bid and went to sleep. Woke up today to find that I won it for $34.99 all in. The 114a got a sniper late at night and went for $35+shipping.

I have 1 main source of competition in this series that seems to have been largely ignoring these, I guess because they don't have competitive set slots yet.

Screenshot_20211009-064612_eBay.jpg

On 10/9/2021 at 7:51 AM, Revenant said:

Mike and my favorite paper-crack-dealer

You know it. (thumbsu

On 10/9/2021 at 7:51 AM, Revenant said:

I have 1 main source of competition in this series that seems to have been largely ignoring these, I guess because they don't have competitive set slots yet.

That's interesting an interesting thought, so now that it's out there will they become more aggressive and are you going to sandbag on requesting slots? lol

I way over paid for this one, I guess continually missing out on notes got the better of me, but I'm still glad I got it. :bigsmile: The label is a mechanical error, it is really P35b, but that's not why I bought it. This is going to become part of a custom set for 2022, more to come on that later.

1865982028_1918PMG65EPQObv-Copy.png.fe47b746ffaec666ae8a2df9ce98dfac.png

266047366_1918PMG65EPQRev-Copy.png.36db8a57bef42d16cb1e8f6aa2c3e180.png

On 10/10/2021 at 9:35 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

You know it. (thumbsu

That's interesting an interesting thought, so now that it's out there will they become more aggressive and are you going to sandbag on requesting slots? lol

Well, in about 22 days we enter the freeze and slots can't be added until after the cut-off at that point.

Personally I don't know how much I care when slots get added. I'm sure it'll happen and when it does they'll buy notes and be beating me a month later. lol I don't really focus on my Soberano competitive set even to the extent that I have "Operation Sunrise" or "Zombie Dollars." I see "Gradually, Then Suddenly" and "Strength and Sovereignty" as my flagships and I think PMG does too. lol And I run those shows. lol

Edited to add: I have 2 of 3 new notes now, so soon them getting more aggressive won't matter to me much. Lol

Edited by Revenant

Super tough to find these in decent condition. This one still has six coupons attached which is rare, even rarer is a bond certificate with all eight coupons attached, typically these are found with four coupons or less and in poor condition. 

2133858406_1918200HryvenObv-Copy.png.7d30df3d26f31853a31b7131ce61ecb9.png

1773172024_1918200HryvenRev-Copy.png.0d4bb77649db09ba52a78aa833e9d6ac.png

Edited by Fenntucky Mike