• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about collecting STAR notes....

33 posts in this topic

I'm looking to start a Currency collection and want to start with STAR notes.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

First of all, decide what kind of star notes you want to collect; small size or large size notes; Silver Certificates or Federal Reserve Notes, etc. or just a "type note" set of one high-grade note from each of several kinds of notes?

Once you've narrowed that down, along with reading posts on boards like this and articles on the web related to that/those series, get (and study) a good book on whatever area of currency collecting interests you; especially one that has fairly current prices listed for them. For small-sized notes I'd recommend the latest, 6th edition of the Oakes-Schwartz, "Standard Guide To Small-Size U.S. Paper Money". I don't collect much large-size currency myself, so maybe someone else here can direct you to the best book for those. Learning how to properly grade notes is also very crucial before spending any significant amount of money.

Also attend a currency show that's being held somewhat close to you if possible, or as large a coin show as possible, because larger coin shows will have many dealers with currency for sale also. You can learn quite a bit talking to dealers at shows and stores, but keep in mind that they are there primarily to make money, not give you bargains, and of course there are always some unscrupulous sellers who love to sell overgraded material to the unsuspecting newbie.

Always buy or trade for the highest quality notes that you can reasonably fit into your budget, because those are the ones that will be more likely to increase in value over the years, not too mention give you more personal enjoyment both for yourself and when sharing your collection with others. But, just like coins, if it is a very scarce or even rare item, even lower grade notes will be a joy to own and also increase in value over time.

Those are a few basic principles to give you a good start. At least that's my 2 ¢ worth! thumbsup2.gif

I would consider myself as a newbie +. I've been through the buying everything in site regarding smaller notes , average grades. I've currently sold off the many and only obtain a few much higher grade, Uncirulated. I also purcheased a price guide to Paper Money.

The advise given above is probable the best advise anyone could provide to " a newbie " . The key is Education and obtaining the highest quality notes with-in your means. I continue to return to this site because of person(s) like above. Thank you, a Newbie.

How can I find out how many STARS were produces for a series in any given year?

The book that I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, i.e., the Oakes-Schwartz, "Standard Guide To Small-Size U.S. Paper Money" has the amounts printed for all U.S. small-size star notes (as well as regular notes) except for the most recent year or two. You also might try contacting the B.E.P. for more recent info.

Great! That'll bring you up to speed pretty well on stars' scarcity, plus there's lots of other good info in there. Did you get the 5th or 6th edition? (I think the 6th is out now, but am not sure.)

P.S. I changed my screen name to "Gembeeyou" yesterday! smile.gif

Since last summer I have managed to find 31 Stars

23 $1 (one silver cert)

1 $2

4 $5

1 $10

1 $20

1 $50

I could only afford the 1's - 10's....I was going to get the twenty but some jerk at work gave it out as change while I went to get my money....and the fifty was too expensive for me at the time.

I participated in a math competition at school last year, and won a cash prize of $4 and change (it was a small, club sponsored competition). One of the dollar bills was a star note, the first I found.

Bravo. acclaim.gif

This is outstanding on at least three levels:

1. You participated in a math competition. Good for you!

2. You won. Even better for you!

3. You received a star note. Talk about your unexpected bonus!

Congratulations (and keep up the math),

Beijim

893applaud-thumb.gif