• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying New and consecutive Notes

27 posts in this topic

I have previously been to Washington Mutual (a local bank) and asked them for consecutive notes of any kind. The response was that they do not carry uncirculated currency and that i should try another bank. Before i go searching around the world for a place to buy consecutive bills, does anybody have any suggestions on where to get them (in the local Los Angeles area) and also if there is an extra charge on buying new currency? Thanks for the help and any responses are appericiated.

I called wells fargo and they said you just have to be lucky and call in before the bills are seperated and circulated. I later learned about the BEP and saw auctions like these on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Gem-New-BRICK-1000-2-Two-Dollar-Bills-2003-BEP-Sealed_W0QQitemZ8345141059QQcategoryZ40029QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). How do people get stacks like these, the BEP website does not sell these?

I just got 3 series 2003A $1 consecutive notes from the grocery store in change today. If I wanted I suppose I could have asked for more, since the cashier had a whole drawer full, but three were enough for me. As for those auctions, I suppose it's possible these people got them from a bank or maybe they work for or have connections with an armored service that delivers new notes.

It seems that your bank should be able to help you with this. If I can routinely order $500 boxes of halves from the FRB through my bank, why can't you order bulk quantity of notes? Like the halves, if they are all junk, just return them to the bank.

Chris

I stopped at Wally World on the way home from work tonight, and the cashier had a stack of brand new 2003A $1 bills and 2003 $5 bills, but she had folded the stacks several times like an accordion so they wouldn't stick together, so I didn't bother asking for more than I got in change!

Ok, I have answered my own question and will inform everybody what happened. Banks do have this uncirculated currency but all have different policies. I first called many Washington Mutual branches around my area and all said they either dont carry them or have to be ordered. Then i went to the local Bank of America and they were jerks there. They had stacks of 1's, 5's, and 100's but could not tell me their serial numbers or if theey were stars. I told them i would like several stacks of 1's and 5's but then the lady getting the stacks of money asked me if i had a Bank of America account and i told her i did not. I believe she lied to me and said i need to have an account to obtain this currency. I believe this was a load of bs not only because she was a jerk, but also because of the next experience i had. i then trove to Wells fargo and asked if they had any stacks. they had 10's and 5's and let me inspect their serial numbers along with letting me observe thses for as long as i wanted. after i purchesed the ones that appeaked to me (I didnt have to buy a whole stack), they also said that if i wanted, they could order me some stacks from the BEP without any charge. I was really happy and thankful that the people at Bank of America were such jerks. Anyways, the friendly staff helped me order the denominations i wanted and will have them this Monday. However, you cannot specify a request for stars, you just have to be lucky. What i did pick up were $5 serial numbers such as "60111766", "60111767", "60111770", "60111771", 60111776", "60111777" and $10 serial numbers such as "27972977", "27972979", and "27972992". There was no premium and the staff was VERY friendly. I cant wait to pick up my shipment on Monday! I will inform everybody how that transaction goes.

Didn't I tell you to try the Wells Fargo! poke2.gif Glad to hear you finally had some luck with this, I'll be waiting to hear what you got Monday. popcorn.gif Were the $5 and $10 they had new ones or old (small head) ones?

The bills they had were the new ones with the huge head. The main reason i bought these was beacause the new 10's are coming out around january 06 and i wanna get as many 10's as i can before this. I should have also bought 2's but forgot to because they are going to reprint a new design or stop printing them (Im not sure which one it was).

I have some sad news for my long awaited experience. ALL 4 OF MY STACKS DO NOT HAVE ANY GOOD SERIAL NUMBERS. in my 10's stack, the numbers range from "L01762901" to "L0176300", my 5's are from "E69924601" to "E69924700", another 5 stack from "E69924801" to "E69924900", and lastly, my 1's are from "L85734901" to "L85735000". These were not really the greatest selection of serial and i did not even recieve any errors or star notes. Im not sure whether to sell these stacks on ebay, or try to get new ones. Also, it would be nice if anybody could suggest nice notes to pull out because the only one i did was the last 10 in the stack with a sn of 0176300. Also, if anybody knows how to get star notes, it would be great to know. Thanks!

I probably will sell some extras but i am first going to buy another stack and see how my luck goes with that, i will let you and everybody else know when and which bills i will sell. Also, I discovered that the stacks of 1's had nice numbers because i found 7 bills where no 1 digit ever repeats. for ex, i found 85734916, 85734912, 85734921, 85734926, 85734961, and 85734962

I happen to know someone who works with Downey Savings, which is a California Bank. Some information at least for Downey is that they can't order brand new bills because the bank they order from charges them a fee for doing so. Since there isn't a demand for it, and that they can't be sure the customers will pay, they do not order new bills. However, sometimes between the months of November-January, they do order new bills for the holidays at no extra charge for their customers. You DO have to be a customer of theirs to have this happen, but it is an option. Again, it also depends on the branch you go to. There are some branches who don't deal with it at all, and say no. The branch my friend works for orders TONS every holiday. Their customers love them for it. Again, it depends on the branch. unfortunately, when it comes to this at Downey Savings. I don't know if that helps, but there you go!

I happen to know someone who works with Downey Savings, which is a California Bank. Some information at least for Downey is that they can't order brand new bills because the bank they order from charges them a fee for doing so. Since there isn't a demand for it, and that they can't be sure the customers will pay, they do not order new bills. However, sometimes between the months of November-January, they do order new bills for the holidays at no extra charge for their customers. You DO have to be a customer of theirs to have this happen, but it is an option. Again, it also depends on the branch you go to. There are some branches who don't deal with it at all, and say no. The branch my friend works for orders TONS every holiday. Their customers love them for it. Again, it depends on the branch. unfortunately, when it comes to this at Downey Savings. I don't know if that helps, but there you go!

I'm glad someone has luck with Wells Fargo. They're mean here where I'm at.

I live rural so my little bank bends over backwards to help. I have a lot of packs of the $2 2003 both I-A and I-B if you are interested in something like that. Since I get them at face by the brick.

You also have found something out very important when it comes to ordering new money especially in brick.

Jerry

Another possible source for obtaining UNC consecutive $1 are large store like Grocery store. WELLS FARGO delivers UNC consecutive bills to a local grocery store in my area ( Publix, FL. ) Most of the time I receive UNC consecutive G- Chicago - 2003 A . I just started requesting these bills at the Costumer Service Area near the front of the store , where you usually buy Lottery Or Cigarettes. If you find a Very Nice employee then may even agree to keep and eye out for Star Notes. This may take a little educating. Maybe even an example note. I've completed this transaction just a couple of times, and to date I haven't come across any Stars, Radars, or very low serials Yet. But it appears to be worth the little effort involved. Just throwing it out there for some newer collectors with limited contacts. GOOD LUCK.

Nice group of Radars. I'm also keeping an eye out for them. Also low# 00000183* and 77777777. It will probable be a cool day.. I did see several like 2001 #00001643* sell on the bay for a fair profit. The Seller had what I would consider a high shipping ( over $4 ). Together with the final bid, It was worth his time.

Is there any way to request a pack of stars from the bank?

Do star notes come out after the inital release of new bills or around the same time? Is so, does anyone know within what timeframe star notes are realeased?

Thanks!

PS, i missed buying a new stack of 10's, so i might just wait and buy some 20 or something. Did anyone have any sucess of getting nice serials in their stack when the new tens were released?

I told them i would like several stacks of 1's and 5's but then the lady getting the stacks of money asked me if i had a Bank of America account and i told her i did not. I believe she lied to me and said i need to have an account to obtain this currency. I believe this was a load of bs not only because she was a jerk, but also because of the next experience i had.

I've had the above happen with small banks before when I was in the area and wanted to exchange 10 rolls of quarters for 10 new ones to search through. They told me I had to have an account there. My dad later explained it to me as being because they're small so save that kind of stuff for their customers.

That being said, BoA is not a small bank, so it sounds like you just got some nasty tellers.

I believe Coin World regularly publishes what the BEP is producing at each facility, including the denomination, series, and exact serial number ranges. I don't know if that is published weekly, monthly or what.