• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How did this happen - my $2 FRN's were cooked on delivery by USPS

7 posts in this topic

My second installment of $2 FRN's were due on 8/8 and showed up out of the blue on 9/29. The envleope says a ship date on 8/3 - so these notes have been traveling around the US I guess...

So I open the envelope with anticipation and what did I find....

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

From the best I can tell - the notes got cooked that caused the plastic sleves to change color. Intestesting enough, the notes are undamaged and still il CU condition.

I have no idea but I would try and contact them about the way they showed up. Maybe they use holders on their notes? did the notes have any of the redish color to them?

After pulling the notes out, there is a stain all around the edges - the notes and sleves have a burnt smell. It looked like it might have been stuck in a machine or almost two months floating around out there. The BEP envelope however was sealed and had no apparent damage.

Knowing these were lost after being MIA for 3 weeks - I called the BEP the last week in August and received a replacement. I just had to sign a form that said if the originals show up, I'll send them back - no problem there.

I get shipments from the BEP on a regular basis and this is a first.

No proof, but here's an out in left field theory.

Possibly during that time while they were missing they got returned to the Treasury Dept. The Post Office still heavily irradiates incoming mail to some government agencies. (Anthrax scare) and those holder look like holders I've seen that went through those irradiation procedures.

No proof, but here's an out in left field theory.

Possibly during that time while they were missing they got returned to the Treasury Dept. The Post Office still heavily irradiates incoming mail to some government agencies. (Anthrax scare) and those holder look like holders I've seen that went through those irradiation procedures.

I Like your theory - makes sense. The notes are going back today and I e-mailed my contact at the BEP the pictures, maybe she'll have some insight.

lol - funny - I'll make a note to skip that part when we're assigned to the government Dr.

The notes were shipped back and the BEP is reimbursing me for the priority shipping. I guess they'll talk to QC and destroy the FRN's - they're no good for collector purposes.

Kinda quiet over at the BEP with the $2, $5 and $10 sets all released. I hope they don't rehash the same stuff at Christmas.