• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

? about a miscut one dollar bill with serial number upside down. now w/ Photo.

17 posts in this topic

Please, forgive my ignorance. And if this is the wrong place to post, please, direct me in the right direction.

I have a miscut 1995 one dollar bill with the serial number, the circle with the E in the middle and the green seal all upside down. It is pretty badly miscut, you can see the bottom third of the ONE DOLLAR on the bottom of the previous bill.

Condition: It is crisp, but dirty. It also has three folds. I would consider them light folds, but this is from someone who knows nothing about money... other than how to spend it.

Thanks so much for your help.

ETA: Boy was that dumb. I forgot to ask my question!!

How do I determine the value, if any. And where should I sell such a bill? I did a search on ebay, but couldn't find anything like it.

Thank you so much for your help. I have a few more questions, if anyone cares to answer them.

Would ebay be a good place to sell it?

Could it be cleaned?

Would cleaning be worthwhile?

Should I sell it, what would be a good description. I do not want someone to feel like I misrepresented it in my ignorance.

Thanks again for your help.

Cleaning it would not add any value and may be deceptive. Selling it on eBay would be fine, it would probably maximize your selling value, and describe it as you've seen it described here. I think the technical term is an inverted third printing and miscut, but the error expert can correct me on that.

There are a lot of notes on the market that have been worked on. Professional restoration has been used on some rare and valuable notes with much success. Cleaning currency is really not a taboo like it is for coins, if done properly. However, I don't think your note rises to the level of value where using a professional restorer would be cost-effective and doing the work yourself is just too risky.

I would sell it as-is but take some 300dpi scans for your auction listing. Photography really doesn't work too well with currency.

Good luck with your sale...

These are neat errors. In my opinion they are fairly common to see. These are called inverted third print. I would not pay more than $200 if totaly unc. Sometimes they bring more but lately it is best to be conservative.

This note i n question is worth about $50. I would not pay .10c more. Its a beater.