Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Identify Some Bills?

7 posts in this topic

I am a coin collector and don't know much about Paper money...to make this short, a friend in my small Bible study group knew I collected coins and brought some for me to look at...he also had some paper money...I told him I had limited knowledge but would try and get him some info...

For example, he had an 1890 $5 bill with an Indian in the middle, a 1901 $10 bill with a buffalo...and a few others which I can't remember from about the same period. He got them from his dad and just stuck them (along with the coins) in his SDB at the bank for the last 20+ years....

if anyone knows of a website or reference page I can refer him to it would be appreciated...thanks, Jackson

To get a better idea of what you have, we would need the signatures on the bottom of the obverse, and the general condition. The $5 is an 1899 not 1890. You can also purchase a Friedberg book, Paper Money of the United States, which would point you in the right direction.

Vince

If you are going to be a avid collector and want some good info, go to www.trackandprice.com. Along with the census, they give you sig combinations when referencing a particular FR number.

Vince

wow..that is too funny...I'm almost positive that the top 2 bills pictured on the left side of the link you provided above are the 2 exact bills I used as examples...thanks for the info, his aren't pristine but they're whole and untattered...again thanks..