0
  • entries
    93
  • comments
    311
  • views
    11,138

The P-3s

0
Revenant

290 views

Today I got the email from PMG that they got my submission of a Zimbabwean P-3d and P-3e that I'd bought raw to finally fill that gap in my first dollar set. The d and e aren't as desirable as the a or b but they're still quite nice.

However, the day I was getting ready to mail those off to PMG a dealer listed a high grade P-3a and a high grade P-3b for sale starting at a low price on eBay with a 10 day timer / run. I knew I probably wouldn't win because I expected them to go for about $125 and I just wasn't willing to spend that for them right now but I wanted to know what they'd go for. I was surprised!

The 3a went for about $230 and the 3b went for about $370. Lots of bidders. A few of them wanted these things BAD I guess.

lol. Once again, glad I knew going in I had no chance. I mostly don't see much inflation / price increases going on with these but it does seem to be happening with the rarer / highly desirable varieties and notes.

PMG seems to be moving fast. I'm hoping to find out how the P-3d and P-3e did at grading sometime in September and have them back home for imaging well before December. I'm going to love having a 100% complete 1st dollar registry set at last.

 

0



9 Comments


Recommended Comments

Quote

The 3a went for about $230 and the 3b went for about $370.

:whatthe:

What were the grades on those? 

Quote

PMG seems to be moving fast. I'm hoping to find out how the P-3d and P-3e did at grading sometime in September and have them back home for imaging well before December. I'm going to love having a 100% complete 1st dollar registry set at last.

PMG is definitely not as backlogged as NGC, :frustrated:, my NGC submission was "delivered" last week and I don't expect to see those coins back until at least December and I'm probably being a little optimistic. Congratulations on the soon to be complete set, always a good feeling.:golfclap: Now just don't do something crazy like collect by serial number prefix or replacements. :devil:

Link to comment
On 8/4/2021 at 6:15 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

:whatthe:

What were the grades on those? 

PMG is definitely not as backlogged as NGC, :frustrated:, my NGC submission was "delivered" last week and I don't expect to see those coins back until at least December and I'm probably being a little optimistic. Congratulations on the soon to be complete set, always a good feeling.:golfclap: Now just don't do something crazy like collect by serial number prefix or replacements. :devil:

They were 65s and 66s I think

I already have several replacement notes and I list prefixes in my sig set for a reason. 🤣

More on this later but I could also do a deep dive on branch stamps and dates on Traveller's checks. 🤣 My wife will be thrilled.

My NGC submission arrived on 6/7 or 6/8. They entered it 6/24. Went to "scheduled for grading" on 7/7 and has been there for 4 weeks. It just is what it is. 🤷

Screenshot_20210804-131121_eBay.jpg

Edited by Revenant
Link to comment
On 8/4/2021 at 2:06 PM, Revenant said:

They were 65s and 66s I think

I already have several replacement notes and I list prefixes in my sig set for a reason. 🤣

More on this later but I could also do a deep dive on branch stamps and dates on Traveller's checks. 🤣 My wife will be thrilled.

My NGC submission arrived on 6/7 or 6/8. They entered it 6/24. Went to "scheduled for grading" on 7/7 and has been there for 4 weeks. It just is what it is. 🤷

Screenshot_20210804-131121_eBay.jpg

I noticed that this seller seems to have been putting out some better notes notes for auction recently, notes that they are typically asking moon money for. Must be time to clear some inventory I guess. (shrug)

Well I dragged my feet long enough for the turnaround times to jump up to 64 days for moderns. I took a gamble that times would get better and I lost. lol At least I got to pick up 1 - 2 more coins to add to the submissions. I probably won't send another until next year.

Link to comment
On 8/4/2021 at 5:57 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Well I dragged my feet long enough for the turnaround times to jump up to 64 days for moderns. I took a gamble that times would get better and I lost. lol At least I got to pick up 1 - 2 more coins to add to the submissions. I probably won't send another until next year.

Ouch! I'm hoping I'm only 2-3 weeks from grades on the z coins now. I also probably won't do anything again until January or February now, but I have already picked up 2 more z coins for grading.

Link to comment
On 8/4/2021 at 5:57 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Well I dragged my feet long enough for the turnaround times to jump up to 64 days for moderns. I took a gamble that times would get better and I lost. lol At least I got to pick up 1 - 2 more coins to add to the submissions. I probably won't send another until next year.

Well, I think you will be waiting a while on those. It arrived there 6/7, entered on 6/24, "Scheduled" for 6 weeks since 7/7 and all they'll say is "you're in the queue, I can't tell how far back, wait time is now 61 business days." (shrug) It was like 49 when I sent mine in. I guess I'll see if I know results by Sept 1.

 

Link to comment
On 8/17/2021 at 7:42 PM, Revenant said:

Well, I think you will be waiting a while on those. It arrived there 6/7, entered on 6/24, "Scheduled" for 6 weeks since 7/7 and all they'll say is "you're in the queue, I can't tell how far back, wait time is now 61 business days." (shrug) It was like 49 when I sent mine in. I guess I'll see if I know results by Sept 1.

They are opening the mail from the week my submissions were "delivered" so I hope to see them in the system by the end of this week, then a very long wait. Some of my coins are going to need conservation and I signed up for NGC Photo Vision, had to burn up that $500 some how. :bigsmile: So if everything stays true it will take 61 days, now, for the coins to be graded then I'll get the conservation yes/no email, that's another 20 days plus 1 day lost emailing then they go back into grading, which they seemed to fast track in the past (I hope it's not another 61 days), finally off to imaging (another 15 days). All told I'm looking at a minimum of 97 business days :whatthe:, I'm into 2022 before I'll get my coins back. zzz

Link to comment
On 8/17/2021 at 7:42 PM, Revenant said:

I guess I'll see if I know results by Sept 1.

If you're looking for a preview check the population report and look for an increase. It should be easy since it's doubtful there are any other Z-coins being graded. lol I'll do that quite often as they update the pop reports on Tuesdays and there is usually at least a few days between when the coins are graded and when they ship. 

Link to comment
On 8/18/2021 at 6:15 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

If you're looking for a preview check the population report and look for an increase. It should be easy since it's doubtful there are any other Z-coins being graded. lol I'll do that quite often as they update the pop reports on Tuesdays and there is usually at least a few days between when the coins are graded and when they ship. 

It's a good tip but they need to make it to the graders first. lol I'm guessing there must have been some world coins hitting at highers tiers that are bumping back my moderns. (shrug)

Link to comment
On 8/18/2021 at 9:12 PM, Revenant said:

It's a good tip but they need to make it to the graders first. lol I'm guessing there must have been some world coins hitting at highers tiers that are bumping back my moderns. (shrug)

Yeah, once they hit quality control/shipping you might be able to see them in the population report before they ship. It pays off the most when you have coins that go to NCS after the first round of grading, all the coins in the submission were graded at the same time so while a few of your coins are going through the carwash all your other coins are just sitting there waiting and that's when you can usually get a sneak peak at the grades via the population report.

My submissions were received in yesterday, the wait begins..... Again.....lol

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now